Despite entering a limited number of competitions each year, BizVoice® has earned 90 national and state awards over the last 19 years. The two most recent honors include a rare Grand Award in the 30th annual APEX (Awards for Publication Excellence) competition.
- BizVoice editor Tom Schuman received the Grand Award in the writing series category for his 2017 yearlong stories on the opportunities and challenges faced by a Fishers-based entrepreneurial company – Recovery Force. Only 100 of more than 1,400 entries earned the top honor. The three Recovery Force series stories submitted to the judges: Starting Down the Road; It Takes a Team Effort; and Shifting Course. It is the second Grand Award for BizVoice, following a 2011 package of stories on the Art of the Business Deal.
- The staff earned an APEX Award of Excellence for its January-February 2017 “Back in Time” issue, featuring people, companies and industries that are part of Indiana’s business history
At the state level, 2017 honors from the SPJ (Society of Professional Journalists) include:
- Rebecca Patrick, Schuman and Matt Ottinger, second place, Medical Reporting, May-June 2017
- Schuman, second place, Non-Deadline Story or Series, Recovery Force featured in all issues in 2017
- Symone Skrzycki, second place, Headline Writing, three 2017 stories
- Charlee Beasor, Skrzycki and Ottinger, third place, Environmental Reporting, July-August 2017
Honors received for work in 2016 include two national APEX Awards of Excellence:
- Corporate social responsibility series (although the series ran through all of 2016, the January-February through May-June articles were entered due to a limit of three issues). Ottinger and Schuman authored those articles
- Story on new commercial courts in May-June 2016. Authored by Schuman
In addition, BizVoice has been recognized by the following:
- Communicator Awards
- International Association of Business Communicators
- American Chamber of Commerce Executives
- Public Relations Society of America-Hoosier Chapter: Pinnacle Awards
Contact Tim Brewer at (317) 496-0704 to learn how your organization can promote its products and services in the award-winning publication.