Unemployment Compensation Handbook ePub
What’s new in the sixth edition? (Changes since the last edition in 2010 include, but are not limited to):
- The elimination of any presumption of entitlement to UI benefits
- The elimination of burdens of proof in UI hearings
- New DWD responsibilities for investigating worker misclassification claims
- Creation of financial incentives to encourage employers to prevent improper payment or overpayment of UI benefits
- New tools such as “administrative withholding orders” and imposition of “punitive damages” to help the DWD in recovering improperly paid UI benefits
- Withholding of experience account relief for employers that “establish a pattern” of failing to timely respond to DWD information requests
- New UI eligibility rules for “on call” and “as needed” workers
- New UI eligibility rules for workers who refuse or fail drug screens in connection with an offer of suitable work
- New UI eligibility requirements for participation in reemployment services
- DWD’s promulgation of regulations that help define what constitutes “just cause” for discharge and “good cause” for quitting
- DWD’s promulgation of regulations regarding telephone hearings
- A must-have guide for Indiana employers who need to know the ins and outs of preparing for and dealing with unemployment issues in the workplace.
This book is authored by Mike Schiff of the law firm Ziemer, Stayman, Weitzel & Shoulders, LLP.